The former site of Koju-an
Former site of a temple where many roof tiles were excavated
The Kamihirose Azayashiki area, which is in the mountain located north of Suwa Shrine in Kamihiose, Kokufu-cho, Takayama City is called the former site of Koju-an. The existence of Koju-an until 1436 has been proven by an inscription on a waniguchi (temple gong) in the Nagano Prefectural Otaki Village Museum, which is considered to be about Koju-an.
In Azayashiki, an earth gate and old roads, which are considered to be temple-related remains from later years, have been discovered. One base stone was discovered in the past, and nokimaru-gawara (round-shaped roof tiles), and nokihira-gawara (flat roof tiles), as well as giga-gawara (roof tiles with humorous drawings) of the Hakuho Period have been collected from the former site of Koju-an.
The Kamihirose District was located at the branch point between the West Road and East Road of Ecchu Road. In the Nara Period, the former site of the abolished Ishibashi Temple at the foot of the mountain and the former site of Koju-an are considered to have a relationship of shimo-dera (lower temple) and kami-dera (upper temple).