Hondo (main hall) of Sogen-ji Temple
Shoin-style architecture related to Kanamori Nagachika
Sogen-ji Temple was constructed to memorialize the spirit of Kanamori Nagachika, the first lord of Takayama Castle, and was named after the posthumous Buddhist name of Nagachika.
One of the attractions of Sogen-ji Temple is its hondo built with a copper sheet and hip-and-gable roof construction, which was originally the council hall in Sannomaru of Takayama Castle, relocated in 1635.
The six-foot long board-lined corridor in the kesho-yaneura (the visible underside of the roof) was originally an earthen floor at the entrance. Beyond the nine-foot long corridor are a large room and a naijin (the inner sanctum at the center), with an area for four rooms on the right side and an area for two rooms on the left side. These are the structural remains of a shoin-zukuri-style architecture, fitting for the mansion of a feudal lord.