Sanmon gate of Daio-ji Temple
Two-storied gate highlighting the craftsmanship of Hidanotakumi carpenters
Daio-ji Temple was once located in Kamihirose Village, Yoshiki County. After Kanamori Nagachika, the lord of Takayama Castle came to this province, the temple was relocated to its current place, and became a training place for the Jodo sect.
This is the only two-storied gate in the city, and a typical Higashiyama-style temple building along with the hondo (main hall) of Hokke-ji Temple. The 12 pillars are thick and made of Japanese Judas wood. One of the major features of the techniques of Hidanotakumi carpenters, who were well versed in wood, was to use various types of wood, such as Japanese Judas, chestnut and pine, rather than the usual wood for temple architecture, such as Japanese cypress and Japanese cedar.
Openwork rhombic transoms are used for all dropping-in boards in a south-north direction in front of Nio statues settled on both sides of the gate, in order to show the view of Higashiyama through the openwork to visitors.
Although the gate fell down due to a gale in 1791, it was reconstructed by the second Mizuma Sagami no Kami 17 years later in 1807.