Shoro (bell tower) of Daio-ji Temple
Shoro by the Matsuda family
The Matsuda family is one of the family lineages of carpenters that played an active role from the early Edo Period. The shoro (bell tower) of Daio-ji Temple is one of the architectural buildings built by the Matsuda family.
The shoro (bell tower) of Daio-ji Temple located in Atago-machi, Takayama City is the work of Matsuda Mataemon in 1689. According to the Records of Daio-ji Temple, which stipulate the names of Master Carpenter Matsuda Mataemon, Furuhashi Chozaemon, Matsuyama Magotaro, Matsuda Chojiro, and Furuhashi Kuemon, it was built in February 1689.
The roof was renovated in 1974 from persimmon roofing to copper flat sheet roofing. Even with a two-eave shigetaruki (closely spaced rafter) structure, the bell tower was constructed with simple methods for other parts. With thick wooden members and pillars with excellent inclination, the shoro features powerful arabesque carvings at the ends of the tops of pillars. This is a stately building with an irimoya-zukuri (a hip-and-gable roof construction style) roof with finely organized slopes and curves on architectural supports in the mitsudo-gumi style. This is also the oldest shoro in the region.