Building of Fuji Shrine
Shrine architecture by Matsuda Taemon
The building of Fuji Shrine is one of a few existing shrine architectures by Matsuda Taemon, and was originally constructed as the honden (main building) of Hie Shrine in 1748. With the nagare-zukuri roof style into which a chidori hafu (dormer and plover gable) and a noki hafu (eave gable) are integrated, the roof was richly colored, which is a rare feature.
Since the original honden fell down due to the collapse of the mountain behind the shrine in 1935 due to torrential rain, a new honden was constructed in 1938. The old honden was relocated as the end shrine building after damaged parts were repaired, and became Fuji Shrine. Since the richly colored external appearance was repaired in 1995, the original beautiful colors have been revived. The building is a prefecturally important cultural property, as in “Munafuda of the building of Fuji Shrine.”