BUNKYO CITY DIGITAL JOURNEY
How to enjoy 360º VR video contents
BUNKYO CITY DIGITAL JOURNEY is a service where you can enjoy 360º VR video contents of Bunkyo City, including its tourist attractions. Follow the steps below for use.
(Offered only as app)
*For reading markers, use BUNKYO CITY DIGITAL JOURNEY leaflet distributed at tourist attractions within Bunkyo City. The leaflet is also posted on Bunkyo City's home page."
Enjoy a 360° VR experience from this screen.
Bunkyo Sky Panorama
Enjoy "walk in the sky" looking over Bunkyo-ku! Have fun watching the panoramic view of Korakuen area.
Bunkyo Civic Center Sky View Lounge
An observation lounge located on the 25th floor (105 meters above ground) of the Bunkyo Civic Building, a complex made up of the Bunkyo City Office and Great/Small Halls. A 330-degree panorama unfolds, from which visitors can see not only sights within Bunkyo City, but also Mt. Fuji, the Tokyo Skytree, and the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Office. At night, visitors can gaze out on the beautiful spectacle of the lights of Tokyo.
Hosho Noh Theater
A Hosho Foundation theater designed specially for Noh performances that opened in 1913. After being lost to fires once in the Great Kanto Earthquake and again in the Great Tokyo Air Raid, the theater was rebuilt in 1950, taking its current shape as the Hosho Noh Theater on completion in 1978. In addition to part as the hub for the Hosho school of Noh, the theater is also used for events held by other schools, and has become a locus for the spread and development of Noh as a whole.
International Origami Center
Founded in 1858, the Somegami dyed paper and Edochiyogami paper store Yushima no Kobayashi a facility enabling people to become familiar with Origami and washi (Japanese paper) culture in a casual setting. Visitors can also look at the gallery and the workshop where artisans produce hand-dyed washi, and the shop sells origami and chiyogami. The facility also holds many origami/washi crafting classes.
A goldfish store with a history of 350 years. It offers a various species of goldfishes; at the adjacent café, you can enjoy its specialty Beef-kuro-curry, Chinese tea, and cigars. Savor the serenely flowing hours surrounded with goldfishes.
Tokyo Dome City
The home ground of the Yomiuri Giants, the Tokyo Dome holds many different types of events such as concerts, but also features a large entertainment area with many facilities making up the Tokyo Dome City Attractions such as the spas, shops, and restaurants of LaQua, as well as the Tokyo Dome Hotel etc., which can be enjoyed by young and old alike.
The spiritual home of the sport of Judo, which was founded by Jigoro Kano in 1882. In addition to viewing seats where visitors are welcome to watch judo practice, the facility also includes a museum/library which exhibits photos and materials telling the story of Kodokan Judo, such as the training clothes of Jigoro Kano Shihan and wall scrolls which display the judo principles of “Seiryoku-Zenyo/Jita-Kyoei”.
Amezaiku Yoshihara Sendagi flagship shop
A first store in Japan specializing in "Japanese Traditional Amezaiku (wheat gluten handiwork)." The place is filled with display of Amezaiku products. The store mainly sells its products through demonstration sales, which is the beauty of Amezaiku. Choose your favorite Amezaiku from the menu, and the staff will demonstrate its production; you can take home the product. You can also order your original, custom-made Amezaiku.
A kimono dyer/cleaner with a long history, established in Meiji 28 (1895), is now being operated by 4th generation. Inside the store are about 300 types of hand towels displayed, and you can enjoy hand towels with different designs every season.
The Toyo Bunko Museum (The Oriental Library)
Japan’s oldest and largest library of oriental studies, established in 1924 by the third head of Mitsubishi Corporation, Hisaya Iwasaki. The inventory totals approximately 1 million books, including five National Treasures, and seven Important Cultural Properties. These valuable books are available for general viewing by the public in the museum and viewing room. The Museum also includes the “Orient Café” restaurant.
Japan Football Museum
The Japan Football Museum opened in December 2003 to commemorate the 2002 FIFA World Cup. As well as exhibits and video displays related to Japan’s national team, Nadeshiko Japan (the national women's team), and the J.League, the museum is also crammed full of memorabilia illustrating the history of football in Japan.
The Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum
A museum specializing in baseball, opened in 1959 and operated jointly by organizations covering all aspects of Japanese baseball. In addition to walls lined with bronze reliefs of people who have made great contributions to the baseball world and been awarded with induction into “the Baseball Hall of Fame,” the museum also stores and displays a wide range of materials relating to both professional and amateur baseball. A library is also open to the public, with more than 50,000 books available.
The museum featuring printing industries comprehensively. Through printing materials from all time and places, it introduces the role and meaning of printing which has supported the society, culture, and history as a communication media from time immemorial. It also shows how printing is dramatically evolving followed by the progress of digitalization.
Bunkyo City Mori Ogai Memorial Museum
The site of “Kanchoro,” the former residence of the great writer Mori Ogai, opened to the public in 2012. The residence is located on Dangozaka (Dumpling Hill) in Sendagi, Bunkyo City. It was given the name Kanchoro (Ocean-view tower) due to the view out to Tokyo Bay from the second floor (a later addition). The memorial museum boasts the greatest repository of Ogai works in Japan, and in addition to handwritten manuscripts and letters, you can see the “Stone of the three-person joke” written on the remains of the entryway pillar at the front entrance to Kanchoro.
The residence of former prime minister, Ichiro Hatoyama, which became an important setting of post-war politics. You can enjoy the western-style manor with stained glass windows displaying the elegance of "Taisho Roman" and rose garden.
Bunkyo Historical Museum
Opened in 1991 with the aim to research, study, preserve, and exhibit historical materials related to Bunkyo-ku. At the permanent exhibition room, you can easily learn about the outline of Bunkyo-ku's history as well as specific themes such as authors and landmarks associated with Bunkyo-ku by using the real materials.
Historical site - Yushima Seido
Built in 1690 by the fifth-generation Shogun Tsunayoshi Tokugawa as a Confucian mausoleum, and later the Shoheizaka School was established under the direct jurisdiction of the Shogunate. During the Edo Period (1603-1868), it was looked up to as the spiritual home of learning and education, and was the place of origin of modern education. It was rebuilt after being destroyed by fires during the Great Kanto Earthquake in 1935. Within the hall is one of the world’s biggest votive bronze statues of Confucius.
Former Iseya Pawn Shop
The former Iseya pawn shop in Hongo/Kikuzaka is a Meiji Period (1868-1912) historical building comprising a storehouse, shop, and sitting room. It is also a storied building, and Ichiyo Higuchi (a famous author featured on the Japanese 5,000-yen banknote), who lived her life in poverty, is said to have passed through here. In cooperation with the building’s owner, Atomi University, the building’s interior has been made open to the public.
The villa of Hosokawa Etchu no Kami, the feudal lord of the 540,000 koku (a measurement of rice production) feudal domain of Higo-Kumamoto, this Chisenkaiyu-shiki garden (a style featuring a path winding around a large central pond) makes the most of the undulating Mejirodai tableland. Within the garden, there are many things to see and enjoy, such as the Shouseikaku pavilion, which was used as a place of learning for the Hosokawa family, as well as the six highly-treasured flowers of Higo, including the Higo camellia, the Higo peony, the Higo iris, and the Higo sasanqua camellia.
Hotel Chinzanso Tokyo
During the Edo Period (1603-1868), this place of land was the villa of the lord of the Kururi feudal domain in Kazusa Province, Kuroda Buzen no Kami, and in the Meiji Period (1868-1912), a residence and garden were built here by Prince Aritomo Yamagata. Named Chinzanso due to the large number of camellias which surround it (the “Chin” in the name represents camellias), it came into the possession of the Fujita family during the Taisho Period (1912-1926). Within the garden stands a three-tiered pagoda moved from Hiroshima, and said to have been constructed at the end of the Muromachi Period (1336-1573).
Koishikawa Korakuen Gardens
Kaiyu-shiki chikuzan sensui garden (a style featuring a path winding around a large central pond) which constructed at the beginning of the Edo Period (1603-1868) by Yorifusa Tokugawa, the first lord of the Mito feudal domain, and completed during the era of the second lord, Mitsukuni.
The garden is arranged with items evoking scenery from China and of famous locations throughout Japan. One of a small number of places anywhere in Japan which have received designations both as a special historical site and a place of special scenic beauty, the expansive grounds offer pleasant scenery in all seasons.
Kaiyu-shiki chikuzan sensui garden (a style featuring a path winding around a large central pond) build by Yoshiyasu Yanagisawa, the chamberlain to the fifth Shogun of the Edo Shogunate, Tsunayoshi Tokugawa. A delicate and serene garden created based on an interest in Waka (Japanese traditional songs). As visitors walk along the path that makes its way around the pond, they enjoy the changing seasonal scenery such as the weeping cherry and azaleas in the spring, and the changing colors of the fall. Designated as one of Japan’s areas of Special Scenic Beauty.
Matsudaira Yorimoto, the younger brother of Mitsukuni (2nd generation of Mito-Tokugawa clan) established his residence in the second year of Manji (1659).His son, Yorisada, was given a territory of 20,000 koku (a unit for stipend) and became the feudal lord of Moriyama, Mutsu-no-kuni. He was also appointed as the dean of government school.
Senshu-en is a reminder of the garden which was once part of Matsudaira clan's residence.
Nezu Jinja Shrine
The magnificent main building of Gongen-zukuri style was constructed under the order of 5th shogun Tokugawa Tsunayoshi in 1706, and is designated as a National Important Cultural Property. The site is also famous for azaleas, and "Bunkyo Azalea Festival" is held between early April and early May. You can appreciate about 3000 azalea bushes of 50 species at the festival.
Hakusan Jinja Shrine
Kaga Ichinomiya Hakusan Jinja Shrine was transferred to current Hongo 1-chome during Tenreki Era (947-957), and then relocated to the present site in the first year of Meireki (1655). It is also famous for hydrangea blossoms, and you can appreciate about 3000 hydrangea bushes.
The former name of this temple is Muryouzan-Denzuin-Jukyoji.
In 1602, Tokugawa Ieyasu buried his biological mother, Odai, in this site. Since then, the temple was renamed after her Buddhist name "Denzuin." In the precincts, there are numerous graves of women related to Tokugawa clan, including Odai and Senhime.
Genkakuji Temple (Konjac Enma)
In the era of Horeki, Enma (king of hell) gave his right eye to an old lady with eye trouble; in return, the old lady stopped eating her favorite food "konjac" to offer it to Enma. Since then, people keep coming to pray for the cure of eye disease, and thus the place is called "Konjac Enma," drawing many worshippers.
Yushima Tenmangu Shrine
Yushima Tenmangu, also known as Yushima Tenjin, is a shrine to the god of learning and the spirit of Michizane Sugawara. Among other things, the grounds are home to a copper torii gateway (Tokyo Metropolitan Cultural Property), and a kien hyojin seki milestion (Bunkyo City Cultural Property). The shrine is also famous for enchanting plum blossom displays. In December 1995, the shrine was reconstructed entirely from cypress trees to ensure it will endure for future generations.
"Harimazaka Hill" was developed as part of "Loop 3" created by land readjustment after WWII and named after Matsudaira Harima-no-kami's main residence which was at this site. 150 cherry trees were planted in 1960, growing into an avenue of cherry trees.